Football – Cool Facts
- Football originated in China around 476 B.C..
- Pelé, Brazil – Pele fired in a total of 1,281 goals during a dazzling career
- The largest stadium in the world is Rungrado May Day Stadium, which is in Pyongyang, North Korea.
- Women have been playing soccer since 1890’s.
- Mia Hamm of the United States is a famous women’s football player.
- First World Cup – July 30, 1930, 93,000 spectators watched Uruguay defeat Argentina 4–2
- FIFA = Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA/ˈfiːfə/; “International Federation of Association Football”
- Four months before the 1966 FIFA World Cup, which was scheduled to kick off in England, the stolen Jules Rimet Trophy was found by a black and white collie dog named Pickles.
- Kazuyoshi Miura, the Japanese striker, is the oldest football player in the world, at 51 years old in 2018.
- Victor Manon, is recorded as the youngest player in the World Cup, playing for Mexico. He was 16 years 10 months 15 days.
- The Skellee author has also written a book for football lovers. (‘Secret Football Games’ – AnneMarie Callan.) This book will appeal to anyone aged 6 to 99+
How a game of football almost caused a major disaster!